Delta IV Heavy
Delta IV Heavy
This is a digital download and NOT a physical product!
Build and launch your own majestic and brick-built ULA® Delta IV Heavy model!
Standing 65 cm (25 in) tall, the Delta IV Heavy model is built at 1:110 scale, the same scale as the official LEGO® Saturn V set! It's designed to be very detailed and scale-accurate in everything from the exterior dimensions to details, while keeping the piece price relatively affordable. The default model with the Parker Solar Probe contains 1900 pieces costing approximately $150, for which you can find an easy guide to buying in one of the tabs below. The digital building instructions you'll receive with your purchase are high-quality and easy to follow, even for less experienced builders.
The model features:
- Accurate staging, with the three detachable Common Booster Cores (CBC, as well as the Delta Cryogenic Second Stage (DCSS).
- A payload fairing, housing the kick stage and payload, the Parker Solar Probe.
- The EFT-1 mission configuration with the Orion capsule. See the "Variants" tab below for more info.
- A sturdy construction with robustly built cores and connections between the stages allowing for easy handling and light play.
Learn more about the Delta IV Heavy:
The Delta IV Heavy is an American expendable heavy-lift launch vehicle originally built and first launched by McDonnell Douglas (acquired by Boeing) in 2004, but since 2006 operated by ULA. It's the largest rocket in the Delta IV family, consisting of three Common Booster Cores strapped together, making it the world's fourth highest-capacity launch vehicle in operation. During its 19 years of service it has launched a total of 14 times so far, mainly carrying national security payloads for the US government. However, its two most notable launches have been for NASA, in 2018 when it launched the Parker Solar Probe, tasked with observing the sun's corona and also the fastest man-made object ever created. As well as the Exploration Flight Test-1 (EFT-1) of the Orion capsule in 2014, to test and validate the soon-to-be lunar capsule's separation events, heat-shield, parachutes and recovery operations prior to its Artemis I launch on SLS.
The Delta IV Heavy is practically identical to my Delta IV Medium (5m) without the side cores. The only difference is the shorter fairing, the addition of the SRBs and the removal of the connection system to the side cores. That means that only minor modifications are required to adapt each models to be transformed into the other. If you're interested in a part list for this purpose, let me know in the comments or via DM.
Thank you for checking out my Delta IV Heavy model and if you are considering buying the instructions I am especially grateful to you for supporting my work and directly enabling me to continue producing more designs in the future!
Pieces and price:
This default model with the Parker Solar Probe contains 1900 pieces, costing approximately $150, while the EFT-1 variant contains 1911 pieces, costing approximately $145 (prices on Bricklink vary depending on region and current parts availability), see the buying guide in the section below.
65 cm x 14 cm x 5,5 cm
25 in x 5.5 in x 2 in
The model includes internal colors which aren't visible when the model is completed. Replacing these reduces the piece price, but can make the building process more complicated, especially if you aren't an experienced MOC builder.
These following colors can all be replaced by "Any color" when exporting the pieces to Bricklink: blue, dark tan, lime, magenta, medium lavender, orange parts, red and sand green.
And if you prefer the orange color for your Delta IV Heavy, you can use a similar process, but instead replace all "bright light orange" parts with normal orange or any color of your choice.
How to buy the pieces
I recommend buying the pieces required for the model through Bricklink.com, which is the largest online marketplace for LEGO® parts sellers.
There are other alternatives, like the official LEGO® Pick a Brick site, but they rarely have all the required pieces and it's often more expensive there.
The process to buy from Bricklink is easier than it seems, and is explained thoroughly in this step-by-step guide to help you:
- After buying the product, you need to download the folder named "Part lists" and unzip it.
- Choose the part lists you want to buy using the guide in the "Variants" tab below.
- Next go to Bricklink.com and create an account, it's very easy to set up.
- Hover over the "Want" tab in the top right corner and click "Upload" or follow this LINK.
- Click on the right "Upload BrickLink XML format" tab and copy and paste the text from your chosen parts list to the text box. You can "Add to" the default wanted list or a new one it from future orders. Either way, upload all the current part lists to the same wanted list to order all the pieces at the same time. Then click the blue "Proceed to verify items" button.
Repeat step 4-5 for each part list you want to order.
- Optional step if you want to save some money: In the wanted list, you can sort by colors and select all the internal pieces (described in "Product specifications" above) and click on "Color" and apply "Non applicable" since all those colors can be substituted without affecting the exterior look.
- Optional step if you only want new pieces and as a consequence pay a little bit more: Select all the pieces and change their "Condition" to "New" (needs to be repeated for each page). The default option gives you a price around the estimate and will include both new and used bricks.
- Next click the green "Buy All" button and then adjust the settings to your preference. For lower shipping costs, I recommend beginning by choosing your region/country first and only change it if the pieces aren't available there.
- Once that's done, click the blue "Auto-select" button, uncheck the box in the pop-up and click "Start".
- This will give you a list of stores whose orders together will include all of the pieces in your wanted list. Confirm that all the pieces are included by clicking the "Wanted Items" tab to the left and control that there aren't any pieces left there.
- If you are happy with the selection and price, click "Create carts", followed by "Checkout" for each individual store and buy the pieces!
(If you are not happy with the price or if you're missing any pieces, you can click "Remove All" and redo the auto-selection with different settings)
If you're having any issues with ordering your pieces, don't hesitate to send us a message through the "Contact us" tab in the menu and we'll do out best to help!
This product comes in three different variants, which you'll all have access to with the single purchase. Use these explanations to determine which instructions to use and parts you need to buy to build your desired variant:
1. Default Delta IV Heavy [1900 pcs] - builds the standard Delta IV Heavy with the Parker Solar Probe housed in the fairing.
2. Delta IV Heavy with Orion (EFT-1) [1911 pcs]- builds the Delta IV Heavy EFT-1 (Exploration Fligth Test) mission configuration with the Orion capsule on top.
3. Separate Orion capsule (EFT-1) [230 pcs] - builds only the EFT-1 Orion capsule and its Launch Abort System as an add-on to the default Delta IV Heavy configuration.