Delta IV Medium
Delta IV Medium
This is a digital download and NOT a physical product!
Build and launch your own majestic and brick-built ULA® Delta IV Medium model!
Standing 60-57 cm (23.5-22.5 in) tall, the Delta IV Medium models are built at 1:110 scale, the same scale as the LEGO® Saturn V set! They're designed to be very detailed and scale-accurate in everything from the exterior dimensions to details, while keeping the piece price relatively affordable. The standard Delta IV Medium+ 5m consists of 907 pieces that cost around $75, while the smaller Delta IV Medium 4m consists of 756-699 pieces at an approximate price of $60-55. The bricks are bought separately following the "How to buy the bricks" section below.
The digital building instructions you'll receive with your purchase are high-quality and easy to follow, even for less experienced builders.
The models feature:
- Accurate staging, with the Common Booster Core (CBC) first stage and the Delta Cryogenic Second Stage (DCSS).
- Two different-sized DCSS and payload fairings, 5m or 4m in diameter, with room inside for a payload (not included).
- Up to four SRBs depending on which variant you choose to build. See the "Variants" section below for more info.
- A sturdy construction with robustly built cores and connections between the stages allowing for easy handling and light play.
Learn more about the Delta IV Medium
The Delta IV Medium was an American expendable medium-lift launch vehicle originally built by McDonnell Douglas and it first launched on 20 November 2002. However, from 2006 until its last launch on 22 August 2019, it was operated by ULA. The Delta IV Medium was available in four configurations: Medium (4,0), Medium+ (4,2), Medium+ (5,2) and Medium+ (5,4). During its 17 years of service, it launched a total of 29 times with a 100% success rate. Most launches carried national security payloads for the US government, but it also launched three GOES (N-P) weather satellites for NOAA, and Eutelsat W5, which was its first launch.
All four configurations use the Delta IV Common Booster Core as the first stage, which is also used on Delta IV Heavy. However, the second stage and fairing come in two different variations (indicated by the first number in the parenthesis), either 5m wide like the Delta IV Heavy or 4m wide, derived from the Delta III second stage. Furthermore, two or four strap-on GEM-60 Solid Rocket Boosters (SRB) are used on the three Medium+ configurations (indicated by the second number in the parenthesis).
Thank you for checking out my Falcon 9 model and if you are considering buying the instructions I am especially grateful to you for supporting my work and directly enabling me to continue producing more designs in the future!
Pieces and price:
This 5m wide variants contains 907 pieces, costing approximately $75, while the (4,2) variant contains 756 pieces, costing approximately $60 and the (4,0) variant contains 699 pieces, costing approximately $55 (prices on Bricklink vary depending on region and current parts availability), see the buying guide in the section below.
60 cm x 9 cm x 5 cm
23.5 in x 3.5 in x 2 in
The model includes internal colors which aren't visible when the model is completed. Replacing these reduces the piece price, but can make the building process more confusing, especially if you aren't an experienced MOC builder.
These following colors can all be replaced by "Any color" when exporting the pieces to Bricklink:
blue, dark tan, lime, magenta, medium lavender, orange and sand green
And if you prefer the orange color for your Delta IV Medium, you can use a similar process, but instead replace all "bright light orange" parts with normal orange or any color of your choice.
How to buy the pieces
I recommend buying the bricks required for the model from Bricklink.com, which is the largest online marketplace for LEGO® parts sellers.
There are other alternatives, like the official LEGO® Pick a Brick site, but they rarely have all the required pieces and it's often more expensive there.
The process to buy from Bricklink is easier than it seems, and is explained thoroughly in this step-by-step guide to help you:
- After buying the product, you need to download the folder named "Part lists" and unzip it.
- Choose the part list(s) you want to buy using the guide in the "Variants" tab below.
- Next go to Bricklink.com and log in or create an account (it's very easy to set up).
- Click on the "Want" tab in the top right corner and "Create New List".
- Once you've done that, click on the upload button and drag and drop the part list you want to include in the order. Then click the blue "Proceed to verify items" button.
Repeat step 5 for each part list you want to order.
- [Optional step if you want to slightly reduce the part cost] In the wanted list, you can sort by colors and select all the internal pieces (described in "Product specifications" above) and click on "Color" and apply "Non applicable" since all those colors can be substituted without affecting the exterior look.
- [Optional step if you only want new pieces] Select all the pieces and change their "Condition" to "New" (needs to be repeated for each page). Note that this will lead to a higher price and the risk of some parts being unavailable. The default option gives you a price around the estimate and will include both new and used bricks.
- Next click the green "Buy All" button and then adjust the settings to your preference. For lower shipping costs, I recommend beginning by choosing your region/country first and only change it if the pieces aren't available there.
- Once that's done, click the blue "Auto-select" button, uncheck the box in the pop-up and click "Start".
- This will give you a list of stores whose orders together will include all of the pieces in your wanted list. Confirm that all the pieces are included by clicking the "Wanted Items" tab to the left and control that there aren't any pieces left there.
- If you are happy with the selection and price, click "Create carts", followed by "Checkout" for each individual store and buy the pieces!
(If you are not happy with the price or if you're missing any pieces, you can click "Remove All" and redo the auto-selection with different settings)
If you're having any issues with ordering your bricks, don't hesitate to send us a message through the "Contact us" tab in the menu and we'll do out best to help!
This product comes in three different variants, which you'll all have access to with the single purchase. Use these explanations to determine which instructions to use and parts you need to buy to build your desired variant:
1. Delta IV Medium+ (5,2) & (5,4) [907 pcs] - includes 4 SRBs as well as extra pieces to change the DCSS between the configurations, so you can build both the Delta IV Medium+ variants with 5m wide fairings.
2. Delta IV Medium+ (4,2) [756 pcs] - includes 2 SRBs and the Delta IV Medium with the 4m wide DCSS and fairing.
3. Delta IV Medium (4,0) [699 pcs] - builds the Delta IV Medium with the 4m wide DCSS and fairing, with no SRBs.
2024-02-12 The part lists were updated to work with the changed BrickLink part numbers and their format was changed to BSX-files to simplify the upload process to BrickLink.
The instructions have also received a visual update with new front and back covers, as well as a color guide as an aid during the buying and assembly processes.